Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary research field in the life sciences; it develops methods and softwares tools for understanding biological data. As an interdisciplinary field of science, bioinformatics combines computer science, statistics, mathematics, and engineering to study and process biological data. The research focus is mainly embodied in two aspects of Genomics and Proteomics, in particular, from the nucleic acid and protein sequences, analysis of the structure of the sequence of biological information. The course system discusses the structure of the biological database, the construction of the database, the acquisition, processing, analysis and interpretation of the biological information in the database. Biological sequence alignment, phylogenetic tree construction, gene function analysis and protein function annotation etc. will be introduced in detail.
Chapter 1 Introduction 1 credit hours
What is genomics and what are its applications?
- The definition, basic concept and development status of bioinformatics.
- The basic content and basic principles of bioinformatics research.
- The application of computer in biological research.
Chapter 2 Biological and experimental basis 5 credit hours
- The basic knowledge of molecular biology involved in bioinformatics
- The experimental foundation of molecular biology.
Chapter 3 Biological information database 6 credit hours
- Gene and genome database, protein database, function database, other database resources.
- Commonly used biological information data file format.
- Sequence alignment and database search, multiple sequence alignment.
Chapter 4 DNA sequence analysis 7 credit hours
- The DNA and protein sequence analysis
- Enzyme digestion analysis, computer simulation of enzyme digestion, connection, translation, electrophoresis, etc..
- Gene map
- The use of sequencing ABI files
- Contig analysis
- Genome sequence analysis tools, SNPs recognition, EST sequence application
Chapter 5 Primer design 9 credit hours
- The experimental parameters are involved in Primer design.
- Primer design involves cloning and expression strategies related to experimental design.
- Prediction analysis of Primer design results.
Chapter 6 Phylogenetic analysis 6 credit hours
- The concept of neutral mutation
- Molecular clock concept
- The use of phylip and MEGA software
Jin Jian， Professor
Jiang Wei, Associate Professor